Tuesday, November 21, 2006

A Reason to Give Thanks

This is the first year that most of the McCann family won't be getting together for Thanksgiving. For 37 years of my life we have been trekking to an aunt or uncle's house the Saturday after Thanksgiving to get together and eat Turkey, mashed potatoes, rolls, pies, corn casseroles, beans and cranberry sauce. The last few years have been at Hillcrest so we could be with Grandma. I'm going to go there on Friday to bring her some home cooked turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy and a little pie. I hope it will be a "good eating" day.

Mom says she's been off of her eating kick in the last week. It was too good to last, and I think all of her hunger came from having the flu a couple of weeks ago. I'm thankful she made it through that. As weak as the disease has made her, she's still a tough cookie.

Last year I was thinking at this time, "Is this the last year with Grandma?" I've decided to stop thinking that, because it really doesn't matter. She's not worried about it, why should I be? She enjoys being around the people she loves, and she knows that she is loved in return. We can guess at the reasons she's staying around for, but better yet we can be thankful that she's here, and beyond that, nothing else matters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home