Thursday, September 21, 2006

Preventing Alzheimer's

Because I am paranoid, a worrywort and know that my chances of developing Alzheimer's is a possibility, I read everything I can get my hands/eyes on. So far, the best synopsis I've come across is on Dr. Andrew Weil's Website:

"To help prevent the form of dementia known as Alzheimer’s Disease, do the following:

  • Get regular physical activity, 30 minutes of aerobic activity most days of the week. It increases the flow of blood to the brain and can lower the likelihood of Alzheimer's by 30 to 50 percent.
  • Eat omega-3s. Oily fish (like wild Alaskan salmon, sardines and herring), walnuts, fortified eggs and freshly ground flaxseeds all provide omega-3 fatty acids, which are linked with reducing inflammation.
  • Take supplements and vitamins. Vitamins E and C are good choices, and B vitamins can help lower blood levels of homocysteine, a toxic amino acid linked to an increased risk of Alzheimer's.
  • Stay mentally active. Read newspapers and books, dance, do crossword puzzles, play musical instruments, participate in ongoing education, learn a new language. Courtesy of Dr. Weil on Healthy Aging"

The only thing I don't do on a regular basis is physical activity... I've been trying to run at least three times a week, but it's hard with kids stuff and work and outside activities. I guess I'm just going to have to make the time to exercise. One thing I don't want in my lifetime is to be stuck in a wheelchair all day eating pureed food.

4 Comments:

Blogger Karma said...

When I look at my mom and my grandmother, honestly, the thing that they had in common was worrying. I don't think that anyone knows what really prevents Alzheimer's; the best we can do for ourselves, I think, is just take good care of ourselves and try to live as healthy as possible. For me, I think the biggest struggle is going to be NOT worrying.

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holly

I've just read right through your blog. It appeals to me for reasons I'd rather only go into in email. I'll be coming back again - I've added you to my blogroll.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Patty McNally Doherty said...

Hi Holly,

While it's true we don't know yet what prevents Alzheimer's disease, there is exciting new research that's just been published in Nature. And a drum roll please, the review of the paper was co-authored by Dr. Macolm Leissring - wahoo! - the lead Alzheimer's scientist at Scripps Florida and Dr. Dennis Selkoe, his Harvard mentor. The Unforgettable Fund chose this lab to receive 100% of the money it raises, precisely because of its aggressive and determined approach to Alzheimer's disease. Malcolm knows my family, he met my father in the throws of Alzheimer's, he knows first hand how bad this disease really is and has dedicated his career to unmasking it. Any way I can help this effort, I will.

Mona Johnson, creator of the blog The Tangled Neuron - www.tangledneuron.info - interviewed Malcolm about this latest discovery and what it means to us. It's written in a manner we can understand and I encourage you to learn all you can about this disease, the science of it, and how we can contribute to finding its cure.

It's tough stuff, but we, the loved ones of our unforgettables, owe it to them - our mothers and fathers and aunts and uncles and spouses and friends, to be their informed advocates. We are their voice because they have none. We don't have the blessed luxury of not having to remember what a nightmare it is to live through Alzheimer's disease. The strongest thing you can do is remember every second of it and DO something to help.

Personally, I had become so frustrated with the darkness surrounding Alzheimer's - what causes it? what prevents it? why is it such a mystery STILL? who's figuring this stuff out? why don't they have second and third shifts in labs? why don't they hire ten times as many scientists? why don't they NAIL this disease? - that I prayed for just a sliver of light. This new research is like having the shutters thrown back AND the window opened. There is MUCH cause for hope.

Holly, while I don't know you personally, I feel very close to you. I guess that's what happens when an experience like this is shared. Thank you for your blog.

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Holly,

Good to discover your blog. We're all paranoid about getting dementia, having seen first-hand how horrible it is for our loved ones.

I think Karma's right, not worrying is important. But Patty is right that we need to learn all we can, and try to contribute to research efforts.

Please keep blogging - it's nice to know you're out there!

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home