Monday, November 27, 2006

Leftovers

I brought a morsel of pecan pie (w/o nuts) and Grandma seemed to like that. I ran out of potatoes and didn't want to chance a piece of turkey getting caught in her throat, so pie was the only thing I had. Things went so fast on Thanksgiving Day that I didn't get a chance to set a piece of pumpkin aside.

Grandma was rather quiet yesterday - or contemplative - and was more interested in playing with her dining bib/towel than talking or looking at a magazine. Usually she likes to flip through the pictures and touch the pages. I'll read some things or try to before she licks her finger to turn the page. When she was on the farm she would read all of the magazines like Women's Day, Good Housekeeping and also the tabloids like National Enquirer and Star. I would enjoy reading those myself so now I have to resort to flipping through things at the grocery checkout line.

She still has some neck wounds as a result of her trying to take her top off and it getting caught around her neck because her arm was stuck in the hole. Her skin is so fragile that even the slightest nudge and she bruises. It's rare when I see her arms without some red/black/blue marks from her wheel chair escapades, and I put lotion on her forearms when I think of it because her skin is so dry, but it doesn't speed up the healing.

When the lunch cart came she was so hungry that she fed herself with a spoon. She didn't even mind when the nurse gave her a pill or her laxative liquid (she needs this everyday apparently) and ate most of her squash and meat puree. She still isn't very hot on the potato buds and I feel extra bad about not setting some real mashed potatoes aside.

While we were eating, Evelyn came over for a chat. She was in a pleasant mood and started talking about a "tragedy" of four girls running away and how "Jim" was involved with finding them. She's never mentioned Jim before and I asked her who he was and she retorted "Well you know Jim," and went on with how concerned the community was about these missing girls. She has a lot of interesting flashback stories and I wonder when some of them actually took place. I'll never know unless I am around when one of her family members is visiting, and I haven't seen anyone yet.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holly, I like these little details of your visits. Thanks for posting about them.

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home